Dec 2, 2009

Is Kindness Rare?

Are you into the spirit of the holiday season? I love when some random person happily shouts, "Happy Holidays!"
When I was at Superstore today the parking lot was covered in ice and snow. As I returned to my car a lady with a loaded cart was struggling slowly towards her vehicle. As I passed her cart became stuck in the snow. I rushed (baby in arms) to grab one end of the cart and together we pushed and pulled her free. Luckily the lady ended up being parked right next to me. As I drove away I finally noticed her surprised expression. Why are people so shocked when someone is kind to them...is kindness so rare? I suppose we are taught to ignore each other. The whole, don't talk to strangers talk we receive at some time or another. Unfortunately the bad guys in the world may have ruined it for people who truly do have the best of intentions.

A kind word or helpful gesture can make a world of difference.

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." ~Dalai Lama

No comments:

Post a Comment



"All dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was in vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." T. E. Lawrence